Short term Students

Short term Students

You must prove that you:

  • have been offered a place on a course in the UK at an accepted place of study
  • have enough money to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that relatives and friends can support and house you
  • can pay for your return or onward journey

If you’re under 18 you must also:

  • have made arrangements for your travel and stay in the UK
  • have permission from your parent or guardian to study in the

You must be accepted on a course with an education provider that holds a Tier 4 sponsor licence. Otherwise your course will need to be held at an educational institution listed by an approved institution which we can advise you on. Please contact us if you with to have more information.

Learning English as a foreign language

You must be at least 16 years old and accepted on a course to learn English as a foreign language if you’re applying for an 11 month Short-term study visa. A mixed course, some of which is spent studying English, does not count.

Visiting the UK as part of an overseas course

You can apply for a Short-term study visa if you’re at least 16 years old and studying at an overseas higher education institution and part of your course is in the UK.

Your institution must:

  • hold its own national accreditation
  • offer only part of its educational programme in the UK
  • offer programmes that are equivalent to a UK degree

Family members/dependents

As a short term visa holder you are not allowed to bring family members or dependents. If they wish to accompany you they need to apply and fulfil the short term study rules in their own rights.