- An employer needs a sponsor licence to employ someone from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland to work for them in the UK.
- This includes unpaid work, like running a charity.
- Sponsoring someone does not guarantee that they’ll be allowed to come to or stay in the UK.
The licence you need depends on whether the workers you want to fill your jobs are:
- Tier 2 – skilled workers with long-term job offers
- Tier 5 – skilled temporary workers
You can apply for a licence covering either tier or both.